Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday, July 23 Journal Entries

Today, we sang outside at Southpoint Mall in Durham, then shopped some and had lunch there. In the afternoon we sang for the residents at Central Regional Hospital in Butner. Tonight we are singing at Oxford Baptist Church. There will be some videos posted throughout this blog page. Below you'll see numerous blogs from the students.



Because I haven't blogged at all I have a lot to talk about. I came into this week knowing that it would be a blessing, but didn't realize just how much of a blessing it would truly be. I arrived being the very last person to check in and felt like I would be an outcast and kind of separated. I should have known that with this
amazing group of peoplethat it would not be that way. The first days were pretty tough with LOTS of singing and rehearsing but was so much fun! We had our first concert and I was very nervous! It was a blast though. I was informed that Wednesday we would be helping the homeless with hands on stuff and I was pretty nervous and scared with what was to come. Needless to say, the experience was amazing and it felt so good to help people out and not get anything in return but just know that you have impacted someone else's life and that you let the light of Jesus shine through you so that they could see Him in you. Today we went to the mall and had a little free time and that was fun, but it was also fun just singing for the people there. I may never know if we left a mark on a person there that listened but I hope that we did or at least planted a seed in someone's life. After that we went on to Central Regional Hospital which I found out soon enough was a mental hospital and I got very nervous. But that was probably one of the greatest experiences being able to sing to them. There was a little old lady sitting in a wheel chair that just cried and cried and I wanted to just give her a hug but we weren't allowed. It felt great to know we touched her heart and I think the greatest thing was that I was thinking and realized that even though they were in a mental hospital God can still pull you through. No matter how great the heartache pain and sorrow, God is always
there with you carrying you when you are down. But I thank God for being able to know that he will ALWAYS pull me through!
- Devon

This week has gone by so fast- I can’t believe it’s already Thursday night! But God never ceases to amaze me by revealing new truths to me through the music we sing every night. The theme of being secure in God is really starting to sink in for my life as I’m getting ready to head off to college. My senior year has seen its share of ups and downs, but I feel as though it has helped me to really grow deeper in my relationship with God and understand that I can always feel secure in the Rock that is my God 
Olivia

Southpoint Mall Concert on Friday, July 23 from NC Baptist All-State Youth Choir on Vimeo.


Hi there everyone this is Steven. I am a first year singer in this group. If you have seen clips of the talent show online then you would know me as the guitar player in the bro-sis combo who played Don’t Stop Believing by Journey. This week has been an amazing experience for me. I have seen many people touched by our voices throughout this week during all of our concerts. I can honestly say that this is pretty much the best week of my life. I have made so many friends and everyone is accepting of who you really are so that makes this group feel like a family to me. For all this I thank the Lord. For the Lord is my Savior and Creator.
Steven

Today, we gave a concert at the Streets of Southpoint Mall. Singing at a mall is always risky because there is no telling who will show up or walk by to listen. After lunch, a group of about six of us were walking back to the bus. We decided to start singing Jenga as we walked through the mall. As we passed by stores, people peeked out their heads to listen. The further we got through the mall, more All-Staters joined in the the group. The computer died, I'll journal more tomorrow.
Carter



On Thursday, the choir went to my hometown church in Lumberton at FBC. I was excited the whole day and I could not wait to get there. The dinner was amazing that was made by my music minister and everyone loved the decorations. I expected only a few people to be at the concert, but when we walked out it was so uplifting to see so many people. All the “great jobs” that I heard to all the choir members made me happy knowing that they truly loved our performance. I’m ready for the rest of this week and I want to say THANK YOU for all the L’ton people who attended the concert!
Love –Kelsey

When I first heard the song “In the Sweet By and By”, I thought it was a pretty song, but that was it. I didn’t really think about the words as I was singing it, until Thursday night, when we were singing at Lumberton. I was very comforted by the song’s lyrics “We shall meet on that beautiful shore”. It made me think of my Grandpa, who died last fall. I had been grieving for a while, but that night, I was able to think of being reunited with my Grandpa when we all get to heaven. I would like to praise God for the comfort that he gives, and for how he knows each of our hearts.
Love, Kaitlyne

Oxford Baptist Church Concert, July 23 from NC Baptist All-State Youth Choir on Vimeo.



After a short, hot concert outside the Southpoint Mall, we finished singing and felt somewhat unaccomplished at the small size of our audience. While walking back to the parking lot, an elderly woman came up to me and the group I was walking with asking if we were a Christian singing group. As we replied and explained where we were headed to next, she was amazed at all that we were planning to do. She expressed how grateful she was, that this “young generation’ was doing so much. Its awesome to know that not only our singing, but our presence alone, all with matching shirts, can make a difference.
Love, Georgia
When I first came to All State I was enthused and ecstatic about the challenges to come. But the fact that all my friends from home were out having a blast at Camp Caswell without me my senior year didn’t make me happy. II totally lost that train of thought when we were helping out at the Baptist Men’s camp. Working out in the heat and some passing out, I was reminded constantly of how fortunate I am to have a family and friends to support me with anything I do. Having All State is an amazing way to be myself and reach out to others! I love it
Love, Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment